1. I MUST have REAL sugar in my coffee in the morning. For some reason, I cannot stand my coffee with any sorta fake crap in it in the morning. In the afternoon, though, I don’t mind the taste of a little splenda.
2. Speaking of coffee and sugar, after putting my sugar in my coffee, I usually have a small spoonful of it plain, all by itself. The sweetness just tastes so good first thing in the morning. Since I rarely eat before running, I count this as my “carb loading” before the run ; )
3. I think peanut/almond butter + honey is the best combo in the world (with a glass of milk and perhaps some apple or banana slices thrown on top).
4. Push ups are a GREAT workout, if done correctly. When I was in Hermann last week, I wanted to get a little strength training in after my run. There was no gym, so I did a few “body weight” exercises out in the backyard of where we were staying. I ended up doing a total of ~45-50 pushups. The next day, sure….my arms were a little sore, but my ABS/CORE was the MOST sore. I guess that makes sense: you’re essentially holding a plank position while going up and down during the push up. Anyway, never underestimate what you can do in your own home (or somewhere else). Just because you don’t have a gym or are out of town is not an excuse to not work out!
5. Yesterday was the first day I ran in winter-like weather, which meant full out winter running gear: head band, long sleeve shirt, my Nike vest (my favorite piece of running clothing that I own), running pants, and ski mittens. My body was warm, but my thumbs were still uncomfortably cold, even with the big mittens. I was shocked when I saw people running outside yesterday without anything on their hands!! My face was also cold. If you were to ever try to talk to me when I’m out running in the cold, you would think I was having a stroke or something. My mouth is frozen and just doesn’t move properly and fast enough to form words correctly, so I sound ridiculous!
6. I ran a total of 39 miles this past week.
1. Favorite food combo? Peanut butter and honey? ketchup and fries? Fries and ranch?
2. What is your essential winter running item? Any advice on how to keep my hands warm or what brand mittens I should buy?
3. How many miles did you run this past week?
4. What do you put in your coffee?
Real sugar and some fat free creamer in the morning, and soy milk and a little Splenda in my afternoon coffee at the hospital. I used to love the flavored creamers, but for some reason I can’t stand them anymore.