First time being on the patient side at my hospital

11 Aug

Done with surgery and feeling great!

So, my sinus surgery was yesterday.  Luckily, I found out Thursday evening that they had scheduled me later in the morning, as I had requested, so I had about two hours between the end of my shift and for when I had to be there, which gave me time go home briefly and drop of my stuff.

It was weird being on the patient side.  I had been in the preop areas and OR rooms as a med student, but never as a patient!  I must say, Northwestern did a great job.  Everyone was super nice:  the secretary where I checked in, the nurses, the anesthesia staff, and my surgeon and his resident.  They all made me feel at ease.  No matter how minor the surgery, it can be scary knowing that you are going to be completely out cold and have no control over anything.  You’re putting your well-being completely in the hands of other people, and for someone like me who is a control-freak and wants to know everything that is going on,  this can be an uneasy feeling

My surgeon was running behind, so I spent a lot of time in my preop room, watching TV and talking with Dean, my parents (who came up), and my sister via skype, who has a way of making anyone laugh.

In the preop area with Dean and my parents.  You like the washable tattoo on my head?  They do that after confirming with me that I’m getting head/neck surgery rather than, say, getting my left leg cutoff.

So grateful for Dean and my parents for keeping my company for the several hours while I was waiting to go back for the surgery.

I think my surgery was originally scheduled for 11:45, but I didn’t go back until around 4:00-4:30.  I didn’t mind, though.  I wouldn’t want a surgeon rushing through his surgeries to stick some schedule…I want a surgeon who takes his time and does everything meticulously well, no matter how long it takes, you know?

Being put to sleep is the weirdest experience ever.    They first gave me some versed, which is a relaxing medication they give to everyone as they wheel them back to the operating room.  I felt drunk as soon as they gave it to me.  Once in the operating room, they started giving me propofol I believe.  I started feeling really out of it.  My whole body felt heavy and everything seemed to be moving in slow motion.  I think I tried talking at one point, but I’m sure it all came out in garbled slow motion.  Next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room…with a lovely bandage taped over my nose.  It was quite an attractive look.  My parents and Dean were great.  They make you eat before they discharge you, and so Dean was feeding me jello from a spoon.   Haha, I felt like a two year old

Within an hour of waking up, I was already feeling quite well!  No post-op vomiting this time.  When we got back home, my parents, Dean, and I hung out on our rooftop for awhile.  This was the first time my parents saw our new place, so I was excited for them so see the view.   They drank beer up there while I drank water.  I wanted beer, too, but they wouldn’t let me have more than a sip ; )

This morning, the day after, I honestly feel great!  I told my surgeon jokingly (sorta) that I feel like I could go running, but he made me promise to take it easy for the next week, which I will.

Anyway, I am so grateful for my parents and Dean being there with me yesterday.  I am also so grateful for the quality healthcare and physicians that I have access to here.  The surgeon I had was the one my friend recommended, who is an ENT resident here at Northwestern and has worked with all of the ENT docs.  Thanks Kat!

Me making a funny face with my post-op bandages on. Such an attractive look. Several people saw me with this on on the rooftop. I wonder if I’ll start a fad with the cool bandage look! haha. right.  You’ll notice this pic is smaller than the others, because my face blown up at normal size with this look was a little scary.  

My dad insisted that we needed a classy profile pic as well.

First time my parents saw our new place! They hadn’t been up here since November. Who knew it would take me bribing them with my surgery to get them up here?  j/k

It was beautiful on our rooftop last night.  Here are some pics:

You can see Dean my dad’s silhouette in this pic.





5 Responses to “First time being on the patient side at my hospital”

  1. Noreen Thompson August 12, 2012 at 11:19 am #

    Love the pics, Julia. And loved your graphic description of the aesthesia experience.
    You have a beautiful view from your rooftop. Enjoy this beautiful day with Dean and your amazing momand dad. We are all relieved now that iyour surgery is over and you will be breathing better!

  2. runningthewindycity August 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

    I’m glad you’re doing okay and the surgery went well. I love your classy pics!!!

  3. Kristy Hill (@KristyH5) August 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

    so glad you are doing well! you apt and those pics look awesome!!! rest up!! hope to continue to hear you are feeling great!

  4. Arianna August 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

    So glad you are doing well! The pictures are awesome!:)


  1. Happy New Year’s from bed and 2012 in review « C'est La Vie - December 31, 2012

    […] -After over a year of non-stop sinus infections, I finally got sinus surgery. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 322 other followers

%d bloggers like this: